WilliamCampbellPowell

William's Book Blog

Mostly book reviews.  Very rarely I'll allow William Campbell Powell (author) to write a blog entry on publishing activity, but he's under orders to keep that stuff over on his Facebook page and on http://williamcampbellpowell.com

Zeroboxer
Neil Gaiman
Zombie Elementary: The Real Story
Howard Whitehouse
Progress: 99 %
The Angel's Game (The Cemetery of Forgotten Books, #2)
Carlos Ruiz Zafón
Progress: 6/504 pages
The Longest Week: What Really Happened During Jesus' Final Days
Nick Page
Progress: 43/310 pages

A word in your ear

The Mote in God's Eye - Larry Niven, Jerry Pournelle

This is an old favourite, read many times in paperback, and my second foray into Amazon's coupling of eBook and audiobook.

Arrrgh!

The narrator is driving me to distraction.  L J Ganser is not quite as infuriating as John Lee on Alastair Reynold's Revelation Space, but he comes close.

There's his pronunciation of Murchison, rhyming with murk, rather than church.  Maybe that's just American English versus British English.  Then there are the odd word breaks, as if he's never seen the text before, or has had to pause to turn the page.  Then there's the range of his accents (small), and the too-often feeling that he realises half way through a sentence that he's started with the wrong voice for the character.

But the thing that sets my teeth on edge is his Scottish accent.  It's excruciating.  It's exaggerated into parody.  And far too many times it turns into Southern Irish.

I am going to finish this book, because it is a favourite, and because I can rise above awful narration.  But L J Ganser joins my blacklist of never-again narrators.