WilliamCampbellPowell

William's Book Blog

Mostly book reviews.  Very rarely I'll allow William Campbell Powell (author) to write a blog entry on publishing activity, but he's under orders to keep that stuff over on his Facebook page and on http://williamcampbellpowell.com

Zeroboxer
Neil Gaiman
Zombie Elementary: The Real Story
Howard Whitehouse
Progress: 99 %
The Angel's Game (The Cemetery of Forgotten Books, #2)
Carlos Ruiz Zafón
Progress: 6/504 pages
The Longest Week: What Really Happened During Jesus' Final Days
Nick Page
Progress: 43/310 pages

Reading progress update: I've read 95%.

The Steep Approach To Garbadale - Iain Banks

The thing about listening to a good audiobook is that after a while you can't remember a time when you listened to anything else on the daily commute.

I've got just 8 minutes left (out of 13+ hours) to listen to, and I'm really going to miss this book when it's done and gone.  Peter Kenny is a fantastic narrator (as always), who brings the Wopuld clan to life brilliantly.

There are some things I won't miss - the protag's atheistic rantings and other introspective musings were all too easy to tune out in the traffic.  Quite a few of the characters were a bit 2D (I was going to write "flat", but that could not be said of Sophie).  Unsympathetic.

But this is Alban's story, and Alban's journey and I've really enjoyed the ride, seeing him grow up and mature and (in more analytical frame of mind) seeing how all the trivia Banks inserts turns out to have been important.

Review in 8 minutes?