WilliamCampbellPowell

William's Book Blog

Mostly book reviews.  Very rarely I'll allow William Campbell Powell (author) to write a blog entry on publishing activity, but he's under orders to keep that stuff over on his Facebook page and on http://williamcampbellpowell.com

Zeroboxer
Neil Gaiman
Zombie Elementary: The Real Story
Howard Whitehouse
Progress: 99 %
The Angel's Game (The Cemetery of Forgotten Books, #2)
Carlos Ruiz Zafón
Progress: 6/504 pages
The Longest Week: What Really Happened During Jesus' Final Days
Nick Page
Progress: 43/310 pages

Was game, now thrown

A Game of Thrones - George R.R. Martin

I had high hopes for this - lots of enthusiasm on book sites. I read a few chapters, got inside the heads of a few characters. Fine. Then I watched the first episode - it all tallied.

No more gore than normal for the genre. The sex likewise.

But I've lost interest.

I think the problem is that even in this first book the book is too consciously plotted. I can see the hand of the author everywhere; whenever he gets the chance to turn the screws, he does.  I've stopped investing any effort in learning about the minor characters - they're pure cannon fodder.

There are no real surprises anymore.  It's just fantasy soap-opera, with well-scheduled climaxes.  I've read enough like this not to need to read another one.  And certainly no desire to read another six, which I gather is the author's current plan.

It's not bad, by any means.  It's well-written.  The main characters are well drawn.  But I happen to think that a novel should be a journey, not a maze of twisty little passages, all alike,